“A mother is she who can take the place of all others but whose place no one else can take.” Cardinal Meymillod.
That quote sums up how many of us feel about our mothers and their impact on our lives. It often seems humanly impossible to balance all the things that moms do daily for their families, and that’s why celebrating Mother’s Day every year is so meaningful.
While we want to honor all of the amazing moms in this world, we dedicate this blog specifically to the mothers that work at FirstLantic. Their devotion to their families and the care of their patients is truly inspirational.
Read on for ten amazing facts about this special day.
- One of the earliest Mother’s Day celebrations took place in ancient Greece, where they had spring celebrations in honor of Rhea, the goddess of fertility, motherhood, and generation.
- The history of American Mother’s Day starts with peacemaker Ann Jarvis. During and following the Civil War, Ann Jarvis made a concerted effort to foster friendship and community between the mothers on both sides of the war. She started a committee in 1868 that established the first glimmer of today’s holiday: “Mother’s Friendship Day.”
- Another woman who proposed Mother’s Day in 1870 was the same woman who wrote the lyrics to “The Battle Hymn of the Republic.” After the Civil War, writer Julia Ward Howe suggested a Mother’s Day to recognize peace and protest war. She organized annual events in Boston to honor mothers, but nothing official came of her efforts.
- Anna Reeves Jarvis sought to honor her own mother by establishing an intimate day of observance that is the basis of today’s holiday. The very first Mother’s Day was celebrated in 1908. And Woodrow Wilson legitimized the celebration as a nationwide holiday in 1914.
- The first thing most babies can vocalize is the ‘ma’ sound, which is why in almost every language, the word for mother begins with the letter ‘M’ or is some iteration of the ‘ma’ sound.
- In India, people celebrate Durga-puja, a festival that pays homage to the mother goddess, Durga. The festival is a ten-day event that takes place around September or October.
- More calls are made on Mother’s Day than on any other day of the year. Reportedly there are approximately 122 million calls are made on the second Sunday of May every year.
- Consumers are expected to spend an estimated 35.7 billion for Mother’s Day in 2023.
- The busiest day of the year for restaurants is Mother’s Day.
- In 2022, it was estimated that there were 2.2 billion moms worldwide, with 85 million mothers residing in the United States.
If you or someone you know is interested in home healthcare services in South Florida, FirstLantic can help. We are locally owned and operated, providing our patients with the highest quality in-home care and placement services in Fort Lauderdale (Broward County) and Delray Beach (Palm Beach County) since 2000. Click here to contact us.
To read more of our blogs, click here.